Keeping Lowell Safe: Police Beat for June 2022

June was largely a normal month for the Lowell Police Department, and big events such as the 2nd Annual Lowell Pride festival went off without a hitch. Then, the last day of the month rolled around, and officers responded to a series of calls that made for what was described as a “crazy day.”

In total, the Lowell Police Department had 241 reports filed for June 2022, including the following:

  • 30 assists to other agencies
  • 22 general and motorist assists
  • 19 suspicious situations
  • 12 ordinance violations
  • 10 disorderly conduct
  • 9 traffic accidents
  • 3 larcenies
  • 3 stalking
  • 3 missing persons
  • 2 trespassing
  • 2 aggravated/felonious assault

Lowell officers also made 92 traffic stops that resulted in 14 citations.

June Case Highlights

Lowell police officers responded to a variety of calls for assistance in June.

When a resident of a local health care facility checked out of the building and didn’t come back, police searched the area and found the person, who had gotten lost. In another case, officers responded to a stalking complaint in which the parents of a child had separated, and one parent put a tracking device on the other parent’s car.

Then, on the last day of the month, officers were called to respond to a domestic violence case involving strangulation. While being questioned, the suspect claimed to be having a medical emergency. While it could have been feigned, officers had an obligation to ensure the person was not in danger, and the individual was transported to a hospital for evaluation.

In the meantime, child protective services called for assistance at another residence in town. Apparently, a family had taken in a person in need of a place to stay, but it appeared this person had worn out their welcome. When the household tried to evict the person, they called CPS and made allegations of abuse against the parents in the home.

The responding CPS worker found no evidence of abuse and told the unwelcome guest they needed to leave the premises. The person became combative, and at this point, police were called. Two officers experienced minor injuries in the process of arresting the person – one had a sprain and another was hit over the head – and were subsequently transported for medical evaluation.

While a third member of the department was transporting the two injured officers for evaluation, a call came in that the suspect in the original domestic violence case had been released from the hospital and was on the way home. Lowell Police contacted the Kent County Sherriff’s Department to assist in arresting that individual.

In the end, that person was arrested – and subsequently released on a $500 bond – and both Lowell officers are back to work.

“Blistering” Police Chase on Bowes Road

Although not a June case, other notable police activity happened on the Fourth of July.

Police were called about a person acting oddly at the BP gas station. When a cruiser arrived, the person was driving away. Police followed the vehicle into the Meijer parking lot and activated their lights to check on the driver at that time.

Instead of waiting for the police officer, the driver put their car in gear and drove away. Police followed in what was described – with a hint of sarcasm – as a “blistering 25 mph chase on Bowes Road” until the car stopped.

When the police finally made contact with the driver, the person had difficulty following instructions and subsequently hospitalized for medical care. Apparently, this same individual was earlier encountered by officers on a different day when reports came in about someone confronting pedestrians and acting strangely in the downtown.

Other Lowell Police Department News

Outside case work, the biggest news from the Lowell Police Department is the promotion of Aubrey Culver to the position of detective and the selection of Jesalyn Heard as the department’s newest full-time officer. Police Chief Chris Hurst says the department is also looking for additional part-time officers.

In other news, the department is still waiting for its newest cruiser. Its arrival has apparently been delayed as a result of a global electronic chip shortage.

Finally, Hurst says the department increased staffing levels at the recent Riverwalk Festival and is looking into additional measures – such as the use of a drone – to ensure safety at large public gatherings. He encourages anyone who sees suspicious behavior to contact the department.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.