We received the following press release from Vergennes Township.
As we honor our veterans, we would like to thank the Alton Cemetery for the addition of the Veteran Memorial honoring Vergennes Township veterans buried there. The memorial marker, just west of the historic church building and right in front of the flag pole, pays “honor to those who served and sacrificed to protect and defend our freedom and liberty.”
The memorial is the result of several years’ worth of rummage sales of donated items and special financial gifts. Many thanks are due to Lee Godfrey, Pam Kamphuis, Peggy Covert and the Ford family for labor and organizing the sales. Financial help was given by descendants of the Covert, Godfrey, Condon families and area veterans. The park benches at the memorial were installed as an Eagle Scout project by Steven Moore. Thanks to Ken and Kim Wittenbach for the tree, to Tim and Ken Wittenbach for overseeing the project and to Jeff Wilterink and everyone at Lowell Granite for the loving and dedicated work on the monument.
The Alton cemetery is a private association run community cemetery, first begun in 1846. Veterans buried there have served dating back to the War of 1812.
Photos courtesy of Vergennes Township.