The Lowell Area Historical Museum is taking us on a stroll along Main Street and sharing the history of buildings in Lowell’s historic downtown. To learn more about Lowell history, visit the museum website to explore its collection of local artifacts and records.
Address: 102-104 W. Main
Date Built: 1901; 1905
Builder: Merritt Wright; rebuilt after Flood of 1905
1st business at 102: Miss C. R. Bosworth, Millinery
1st business at 104: Fred Ringler, Harness
In 1901, the old tailor shop here was moved to “River Street north of the Lyon Block” so that Merrit Wright could construct a new building. Damaged in the Flood of 1905 (as seen below), the “new building” had to be rebuilt. The building has seen many businesses over the years.
102 W. Main – In 1913, the Durand Creamery opened. It was the Lowell Coal Company office of E. P. MacFarlane in the 1930s-40s. In 1949, Bruce Walter purchased the business. In 1955, it was Walter’s Lowell Lumber & Coal- Hobby and Work Shop Tools. In 1957, Lowell Academy of Music gave musical instruction here then Modern Photographics expanded here. It was The Creative Party Bug, 2019 then Bella Grace Boutique.
104 W. Main – Lowell Steam Laundry was to be the first business in 1901 but by July 1902, Fred Ringler had opened a Harness shop. In 1910, it was a restaurant. In 1913, Will C. Stone had a tailor shop here and in 1918 it was a dry cleaner. The Palace Dry Cleaners operated by Carl Freyermuth and Ed Keil was here in the 1940s. Beauty Salons occupied the second floor in the 1960s. In 1976, Roger VanVleck and Jim Maatman opened a full-service photo studio called “Modern Photographics”. In 2007, it was reborn under the new ownership of Brandon and Emily Mulnix. Hairstudio was also here in 2012. Holly’s Critter Care, pet grooming, started here later.
Here’s a look at what 102-104 W. Main Street looked like in the past (it includes the two-story building on the left and the one-story storefront next to it):
And here’s what the building looks like today:
Leave a Reply