Along Main Street: 219 E. Main Street

The Lowell Area Historical Museum is taking us on a stroll along Main Street and sharing the history of buildings in Lowell’s historic downtown. To learn more about Lowell history, visit the museum website to explore its collection of local artifacts and records.


Address: 219 E. Main
Built: 1869
Owner/Builder: Robert Graham did masonry work; Reuben Quick did carpentry work
Building name: Graham Block
1st business: Rees Bros. Dry Goods

Robert Graham built this two-storefront building in 1869. It was originally three stories high; the top story was removed in 1910. Rees Bros. Dry Goods was the first business in the Graham building in 1870 followed shortly by C. G. Stone dry goods and grocery. M. C. Barber Grocery was here in 1877-1882; Clark & Smith and A. S. Mount groceries followed. “Little MC” was a cigar, confectionery, grocery and restaurant here in 1890. R. Hunter, Notary and E. W. Dodge, Attorney had offices upstairs.

Postcard shows the original, three-story appearance of the Graham Block. Photo taken between 1906 and 1910.

In 1891, A. W. Weekes had recovered from his illness and started his own dry goods business at this location. Previously he was in a partnership known as Collar and Weekes, but was forced to retire for a couple years due to that illness. After two years, Weekes moved from here (219 East Main) to 219 West Main where he and then his son, Harold, remained in business until 1947.

The image above shows Rodney D. Stocking’s music and sporting goods store about 1900. H. S. Sherman had a jewelry department and Mrs. Lillie Stocking (on left) had a millinery department with her mother, Mrs. Jane O’Heron, in the store as well.

In 1893, R. D. Stocking, H. A. Sherman and Mrs. Jane O’Heron moved here from three doors west. R. D. Stocking sold pianos, organs, violins, sporting goods, and bicycles. In 1910, he also advertised Black Crow automobiles, sewing machines, and Victrolas. Sherman sold jewelry and clocks and was the Director of the Lowell Band. R. D.’s mother-in-law made and sold hats. Mrs. Stocking joined her mother and then continued the millinery business after her mother passed in 1905. She hired 16-year-old Hazel Hoag to help in 1907. Sherman moved to Owosso in 1907. R. D. Stocking passed away in 1934.

The photo above shows the inside of Rodney D. Stocking’s music and sporting goods store about 1908. The right side of the store was the Ladies Millinery Department run by Mrs. Lillie Mae Stocking. She is standing in front of counter in black skirt; her husband is in the vest behind counter.

Hazel Hoag purchased the business in 1937 and operated Hazel’s Hat Shoppe here until 1955 when she moved her business to 215 W. Main St. In 1943, Ed Reynolds Men’s Shop had a department in her store. F. Earle Haner Funeral Director was upstairs.

Carl L. Smith operated Western Auto during the 1960s and 1970s. Hinkley Drug Store and briefly White Lace Fashions were here in the 1980s; Lowell Floor Covering and Paint Store in the 1990s; followed by Forever Yours, 2002; Dave Emmette’s AIC Insurance Agency, 2010-2015, and it has been Martha Davis’ Tap House Boutique since November 2015.

Below is what the Graham block looked like in 1996. It was built in 1869 with two storefronts and was 3 stories high like the building to its left which Robert Graham built 10 years later. The top floor was removed in 1910. Robert’s brother-in-law, L. J. Post, purchased the building in 1911. Mark Batchelor of Architectural Building Restoration purchased it in 1997.

And here’s what 219 E. Main Street (storefront on the left) looks like now:

1 Comment

  1. The National Park Service occupied the space from around 2015 to 2018. And North Country Trail Association continues to occupy the back half of the space.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.